1st January 1837
Back to List

A snapshot of pre-famine local history, as described in the "Topographical Dictionary of Ireland" by Samuel Lewis, 1837.

BRIDESWELL, a village, in the parish of CAMMA, barony of ATHLONE, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5? miles (N. N. W.) from Athlone; containing 130 inhabitants.

This place derives its name from a copious spring of very pure water, close to which is an ancient building, formerly a chapel, from which a doorway leads to the well, now converted into a bath. Over the doorway are an inscription and a coat of arms, from which it appears that this alteration was made by Sir Randal Mac Donnell, the first Earl of Antrim, in 1625.

The village is built around a level green, on which was formerly kept one of the most celebrated patron festivals, but, on account of its immoral tendency, it has been suppressed by the exertions of the R. C. clergy.

A constabulary police force has been stationed here; and there is also a dispensary.

- See CAMMA.

Some communities associated with this timeline

Some ancestors associated with these communities

Some buildings associated with these communities