Bullock DALKEY in the 1830s

1837
Share This:
Edit

A snapshot of pre-famine local history, as described in the "Topographical Dictionary of Ireland" by Samuel Lewis, 1837.

BULLOCK, BLOYKE, or BULLOG, a village, in the parish of MONKSTOWN, half-barony of RATHDOWN, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 6? miles S. E.) from Dublin: the population is returned with the parish.

This place, which is now only a small fishing village, situated close to the southern shore of Dublin bay, was formerly defended by a castle of considerable extent. The period of its erection is unknown, though it is supposed to be co-eval with those of Dalkey; it is an octangular building, having but few windows and surmounted by a graduated parapet.

Near it is a neat residence occupied by Capt. Hutchinson; and in the vicinity is Perrin Castle, the residence of Alderman Perrin, a handsome building in the castellated style, beautifully situated in grounds tastefully laid out and commanding some fine mountain and sea views.

The Ballast Board of Dublin have a small quay here for shipping granite, with which this neighbourhood abounds. On blasting the rocks, a large quantity of silver coins was found a few years since.

The fishery, at the commencement of the present century, employed several yawls in taking whiting, pollock, and herrings; at present there are about ten yawls belonging to the village.

-See MONKSTOWN.

Community new status

Communities Associated with this Timeline

Buildings Associated with these Communities