Camma now Cam in the 1830s

1837
Share This:
Edit

A snapshot of pre-famine local history, as described in the "Topographical Dictionary of Ireland" by Samuel Lewis, 1837. (The information collected here was submitted by members of the local gentry and clergy of the time).

CAMMA, a parish, in the barony of Athlone, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 8 miles (W. N. W.) from Athlone; containing 4115 inhabitants.

It is situated on the road from Athlone to Mount-Talbot (Ballygar), and comprises 10,114 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The land is chiefly under tillage; there are about 648 acres of bog, but no wasteland; the system of agriculture is improving; limestone is quarried for agriculture and other uses.

The principal seats are

  • Lysterfield, that of J. Lyster, Esq;
  • Curraboy House, of J. Byrne, Esq,; and
  • Milltown, of G. King, Esq.

It is a vicarage in the diocese of Elphin, and is part of the union of Kiltoom: the rectory is impropriate in Lord Kingsland. The tithes amount to £195, of which £85 is payable to the impropriator, and £110 to the incumbent.

In the Roman Catholic divisions, it is the head of a union or district, including also the parish of Kiltoom; there is a chapel at Curraboy (now Curraghboy) and also one in the parish of Kiltoom.

At Carrick is a national school, in which are about 80 boys and 30 girls and there are four pay schools, in which are about 160 boys and 70 girls.

Only the ruins of the old parish church, with a burial ground, remain; and there are some ruins of the old castle at Curraboy (now Curraghboy), built by the Dillons, near which are several raths or forts.

Communities Associated with this Timeline

Ancestors Associated with these Communities