CLOGHRAN, or CLOGHRAN-SWORDS, a parish, in the barony of COOLOCK, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEIINSTER, 1 1/2 mile (S) from Swords; containing 613 inhabitants. This parish, which takes the adjunct of Swords to distinguish it from another parish of the same name south-west from Dublin, is situated on thee road from Dublin to Swords. Limestone abounds, and near the church is a quarry in which various fossils are found; under this quarry are copper and lead ores, but neither has yet been profitably worked.
- Baskin Hill, the seat of J. Tymons, Esq was built by the present Bishop of Dromore, who resided there while rector of St Doulough's; and Castle Moat, the seat of J. Mac Owen, Esq., takes its name from an extensive moat, or rath, within the demesne, from which is a fine view of the country towards the village of the Man-of-War and the sea, including Lambay Island, Ireland's Eye, Howth, and the Dublin and Wicklow mountains,
In 1822, some ancient silver and copper coins, Danish pipes, pikes, and musket bullets were ploughed up near the spot. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Dublin, and in the patronage of the Crown the tithes amount to £184.12s. 3 3/4d. The church is a very plain and simple edifice, The glebe-house was rebuilt in 1812, by aid of a gift of £400 and a loan of £392 from the late Board of First Fruits: the glebe comprises seven acres of cultivated land.
In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Swords.