1st January 1837
Back to List

A snapshot of pre-famine local history, as described in the "Topographical Dictionary of Ireland" by Samuel Lewis, 1837. (The information collected here was submitted by members of the local gentry and clergy of the time).

CLONFINLOUGH (now Cloonfinlough), a parish in the barony and county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 3 miles (S. by W.) from Strokestown (see Bumlin), on the road to Roscommon town; containing 4540 inhabitants.

This parish comprises 6283 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £4029 per annum: the land is equally divided between arable and pasture, except about 300 acres of bog. Limestone is found of excellent quality. On the eastern side of the parish is part of the isolated ridge of Slievebawn, and at its base is the race-course of Ballynafad, near which a fair for horses and sheep is held on Aug 27th.

It is a vicarage in the diocese of Elphin and is part of the Union of Clontuskert; the rectory is partly impropriate in the representatives of Lord Kingsland (of Donabate, Co Dublin), and partly forms a portion of the corps of the prebend of Kilgoghlin in the cathedral of Elphin. The tithes amount to £184. 12s. 3 .50 d.

In the Roman Catholic divisions it is part of the union or district of Carraghroe (now Curraghroe), and is also called Lissonuffy; the chapel is in the townland of Carrowiscagh.

There are four hedge schools, in which about 100 boys and 60 girls are educated.

The ruins of Ballynafad castle still remain: it belonged to a branch of the O'Connors, and was placed under Queen Elizabeth's authority by Charles O'Connor Roe.

Some communities associated with this timeline

Some buildings associated with these communities