Cloontuskert in the 1830s

1837
Share This:
Edit

A snapshot of pre-famine local history, as described in the "Topographical Dictionary of Ireland" by Samuel Lewis, 1837. (The information collected here was submitted by members of the local gentry and clergy of the time).

Cloontuskert aka CLONTUSKERT or CLONTHUSKERT, a parish in the barony of BALLINTOBBER (now Ballintober South), county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, on the river Shannon, and at the head of Lough Ree, by which it is bounded on the east and south , 1.75 miles (N.W.) from Lanesborough; containing 2975 inhabitants.

This parish is also called Cloonturskan; within its limits are extensive tracts of bog.

The abbey is said to have been founded by St. Faithlegg, for Augustinian canons; and at the dissolution, a lease of its possessions was granted for 21 years to Fryall O'Farrell, at the yearly rent of £11. 9s. 8d. Very little of the buildings remain, but the cemetery which is still used contains the tombs of several families of distinction.

The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Elphin, and is part of the union of Clonfinlough; the rectory is impropriate in the representatives of Lord Kingsland (of Donabate). The tithes amount to £229. 18s. 3 .75 d., of which £186 7d. 4.75d., is payable to the impropriators and the remainder to the incumbent.

In the Roman Catholic divisions, this parish forms part of the union or district of Kilgeffin or Kilbride.

Here are three pay schools, in which about 160 children are educated.

Communities Associated with this Timeline

Buildings Associated with these Communities