Construction of Stradbally's original parish church

1199
Share This:
Edit

A two-celled building seems to have been built in the early thirteenth century to serve as a church for Thomas FitzAnthony’s newly-created town of Stradbally. It belonged to the Augustinian Priory of Canons Regular at Inistioge, Co. Kilkenny, which was also founded by Thomas FitzAnthony. Its remains can still be seen beside Stradbally’s St. James’ Church of Ireland church. The nave of the ruined church dates from the early thirteenth century and is the oldest part of the ruin. The chancel and tower were added later. The tower dates between the 13th century and the post-medieval period, and appears to have been the priest’s residence, rather than a belfry — another example of an inhabited tower is seen at Inistioge Priory.

Communities Associated with this Timeline