The Office of the Lord-Lieutenant of Kilkenny was created on the 23rd of August 1831.
The title is given to the British monarch's representative in each county of the United Kingdom. Lord-Lieutenants were in place in Ireland right up until the reign of James II when the title was rebranded as Governor. Therefore the 1831 granting of the title was a reinstatement of the original rank of Lord-Lieutenant.
The first person to hold this reinstated title in Kilkenny was James Butler, the 1st Marquess of Ormond and the last was Hamilton Cuffe, the 5th Earl of Desart in th 1920's.