Creggan parish in the 1830s

1837
Share This:
Edit

"Creggan, a parish, partly in the barony of UPPER DUNDALK, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, but chiefly in the barony of UPPER FEWS, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER, 8 miles (W. N. W.) from Dundalk, on the road to Newtown-Hamilton ; containing 14,261 inhabitants, of which number, 1674 are in that part of the parish which is in the county of Louth.

This parish comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 24,185-1/4 statute acres, of which 21,823-1/2, including 419-1/2 of water, are in Armagh, and 2991-3/4 in Louth.

Linen cloth and yarn are manufactured to a small extent by the farmers, whose principal dependence has been the breeding of cattle, but now most of the grazing land has been converted into arable, and even much of the mountainous district has been brought into cultivation.

The river Creggan, which divides this parish into two nearly equal parts, turns several mills and contains fine trout.

The principal seats in the parish are
Urker Lodge, the property of T. P. Ball, Esq., to whom the parish principally belongs ;
Crossmaglen, of Capt. Ball ; and
Clohog Lodge, of R. G. Wallace, Esq."

[From Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]

Community new status