CRUMLIN, or CROMLIN, a parish, in the barony of NEWCASTLE county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 2 3/4 miles (S. W.) from the post-office, Dublin, containing 958 inhabitants, of which number, 544 are in the village, which consists of 115 houses. It is one of the four manors of the county anciently annexed to the Crown, and governed by a seneschal, who receives £300 per annum. In 1594 the village was burned by Gerald Fitzgerald, at the head of the Wicklow insurgents. In 1690; after the victory of the River Boyne, a, part of Williams army encamped here ; and it is said to have been at this place that the king himself settled the method of granting protection, which was accordingly made public. On July 10th, he also issued hence his proclamation for stopping the currency of the brass money coined by Jas. II., except at reduced rates of valuation. It is a police station connected with the city of Dublin police. Here are extensive quarries of limestone, from which Dublin city is chiefly supplied ; and large flour-mills have for many years been in operation at Kimmage.
The principal gentlemen's residences are
- Crumlin House, that of W. Collins, Esq. ;
- Crumlin Lodge, of G. Oakley, Esq. ;
- Crumlin, of R. Smith, Esq ; and the
- Glebe-house, of the Rev. J. Elliott : in the grounds of Mr. Smith is a moat or rath, from which is an extensive view of the beautiful scenery in the neighbourhood.
The living is an impropriate curacy, in the diocese of Dublin, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of St. Patrick's, to whom the rectory is appropriate. The tithes amount to £250 : the glebe comprises only 1a. 36p. The church, which is a neat structure, was rebuilt, in 1816, by aid of a loan of £1000 from the late Board of First Fruits, but the old tower was preserved.
In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Rathfarnham : the chapel in the village is a neat building. There is a school in connection with the church, and one under the National Board of Education, in which together about 100 boys and 80 girls are educated. About £70 per annum, arising from land bequeathed at a very remote period, is applied to the relief of the poor of this parish.