Curranroe Village in the 1830s

1837
Share This:
Edit

A snapshot of pre-famine local history, as described in the "Topographical Dictionary of Ireland" by Samuel Lewis, 1837. (The information collected here was submitted by members of the local gentry and clergy of the time).

CURRANROE, a village, in the parish of ABBEY, barony of BURREN, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 2 miles (E.) from Burren ; containing 92 inhabitants.

This village is situated at the extremity of an inlet from the bay of Galway, which forms the harbour of Burren, or New Quay, into which the sea rushes with considerable force for nearly four miles, and up to Curranroe bridge, which forms the boundary of the counties of Clare and Galway.

It is a neat and improving place, several slated houses having been erected within the last few years ; and is a station of the constabulary police.

Here is a small quay, at which turf and sea manure are landed ; but in consequence of the new road lately made towards the interior, it is about to be removed, and a more commodious one constructed by Burton Bindon, Esq., who employs a considerable number of labourers in clearing the ground of stones, and placing them on the slab in the bay, to promote the growth of sea weed, in which a great trade is here carried on.

Curranroe, the neat cottage residence and farming establishment of Mr. Bindon, is in the village, and in the vicinity is the great oyster bed called the Red Bank, which is described in the article on the parish of Abbey.

Community new status

Communities Associated with this Timeline