Dolphins Barn in the 1830s

1837
Share This:
Edit

From Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland pub. 1837

DOLPHIN'S BARN, a village, partly in the parish of ST. JAMES, barony of NEWCASTLE, and partly in that of ST. CATHERINE, barony of UPPERCROSS, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER.

This village, forming a suburb of the city of Dublin, consists chiefly of a long street on the road to Crumlin, partly situated between the circular road and the Grand Canal, which latter intersects the village, and is here crossed by a stone bridge.

There are several tanyards, and the extensive dye-works of Messrs. Pims, who have also dye stuff mills at Rutland; and on the Crumlin road are the dyeing and finishing works of Mr. P. Nevin.

There is a R. C. chapel in the village, also a convent of nuns of the Carmelite order, who have a school for the gratuitous instruction of about 100 poor female children, and a select school for 12 young ladies.