Drumatemple aka Drimtemple BALLYMOE in the 1830s

1837
Share This:
Edit

A snapshot of pre-famine local history, as described in the "Topographical Dictionary of Ireland" by Samuel Lewis, 1837. (The information collected here was submitted by members of the local gentry and clergy of the time).

Drumatemple then DRIMTEMPLE, a parish, partly in the half-barony of Ballymoe, county of GALWAY, and partly in the other half-barony of Ballymoe, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 4 miles (S. E. by S.) from Castlerea, on the road to Roscommon town; containing 2383 inhabitants.

It is surrounded by bog, and consists principally of pasture, although there is a considerable quantity of arable land.

The seats are

In the village of Ballymoe are two mills, worked by Mr Hurley, one grinding 100 tons of oatmeal; and the other 2000 barrels of wheat into flour annually. Petty sessions every Friday, and a fair on Feb, 1st, are held there.

It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, forming part of the union of Oran; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Essex. The tithes amount to £133. 6s. 8d., of which £100 is payable to the impropriator and £33. 6s. 8d. to the vicar. The church for the union is at Ballymoe, and was built in 1832 by aid of a gift of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits.

In the Roman Catholic divisions, it forms part of the union or district of Ballintobber, and has a chapel at Ballymoe, a good slated building which cost £500.

There are two public schools, in which about 60, and four private schools, in wilich about 170, children are educated.

At Cloonadera are a fine Danish fort and a chalybeate spa.