Dublin Military Barracks in the 1830s

1837
Share This:
Edit

Excerpt from Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland for the metropolis of Dublin (pub. 1837). For links to more snapshots of pre-famine local history for Dublin city parishes, see below.

The Military Department is under the control of the commander of the forces, under whom are the departments of the adjutant-general, quarter-master-general, royal artillery, engineers, commissariat and medical staff. 

The garrison is under the more immediate command of the general officer commanding the eastern district of Ireland, the headquarters of which is in the city. 

The commander of the forces resides in the Royal Hospital, Kilmainham, of which he is master by virtue of his office. 

CONTINUE READING ... ROYAL HOSPITAL KILMAINHAM in the 1830s

The garrison of the city is quartered in several barracks. 

  • The largest and oldest are the Royal Barracks, situated on an eminence overlooking the Liffey, between the city and the principal gate of the Phoenix Park: the chief entrances are by two gates from Barrack-street. They are adapted for 10 field officers, 83 officers, 2003 non-commissioned officers and privates, and 460 horses, with a hospital for 240 patients. The buildings are divided into five squares, under the designation of royal, palatine, cavalry, stable, and clock squares. 
  • The barracks in South Great George's-street are adapted for 17 officers of infantry and 324 privates.
  • The Richmond Barracks, near Golden Bridge, on the bank of the Grand Canal, have accommodation for 76 officers of infantry and 1602 non-commissioned officers and privates, and an hospital for 100 patients. 
  • The Porto Bello cavalry barracks, on the Grand Canal, are adapted for 27 officers and 520 men, with stabling for 540 horses, and a hospital for 40 patients. 
  • The barracks in the Phoenix Park, for infantry, have accommodation for 10 officers and 250 non-commissioned officers and men. Connected with the powder magazine are accommodations for one officer of artillery and 18 men. 
  • The Island bridge barracks, for artillery, are adapted for 23 officers and 547 men, with stabling for 185 horses, and a hospital for 48 patients. 
  • The Recruiting Depot at Beggar's Bush, beyond Sir Patrick Dun's Hospital, consists of a fort enclosed with a wall, and four bastions with defences for musketry, and affords accommodation for 22 officers and 360 privates, with a hospital for 39 patients. 
  • The Pigeon-house fort is situated on the south wall, midway between Ringsend and the Lighthouse, and comprises a magazine, arsenal, and custom-house, the whole enclosed with strong fortifications, and garrisoned by 16 officers of foot and artillery and 201 men, with stabling for 13 horses, and a hospital for 17 men. Adjoining the fort is a basin, 900 feet by 450, intended for a packet station; but since the formation of Howth and Kingstown harbours, it has not been used. 
  • The Military Infirmary, designed for sick and wounded soldiers who cannot be properly treated in the regimental hospital, is in the Phoenix Park, near its principal entrance.