Dysart aka Disert in the 1830s

1837
Share This:
Edit

A snapshot of pre-famine local history, as described in the "Topographical Dictionary of Ireland" by Samuel Lewis, 1837. (The information collected here was submitted by members of the local gentry and clergy of the time).

DISERT, or DYSART, a parish, in the barony of Athlone, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 10 miles (W. by N.) from Athlone, on the road to Ballinamore; containing 1661 inhabitants.

This parish comprises 2972 statute acres; as applotted under the tithe act, and is principally under tillage; there is a considerable quantity of bog, and some limestone.

It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, and is part of the union of Mount Talbot; the rectory is impropriate in Lord Ranelgh. The vicarial tithes amount to £18 9 shillings and 3 pence.

In the Roman Catholic divisions, it is the head of a union or district, including also part of Taughboy (now Taghboy); the chapel is a new and commodious building.

The parochial school is supported by subscription; and Lord Mount-Sandford (Castlerea) supports a school at Sandford. Lake Culleen is partly in this parish.

Communities Associated with this Timeline