From 1888 to 1906 the Elphin team was known as the William O`Brien’s (named after the famous M.P. and editor of ‘United Ireland’). The William O’Briens were the leading team in the country in that period and won five finals in a row from 1901-1906.
They represented Connacht in Jones’s Road in 1906 defeating Monaghan, the Ulster champions, but lost the final, at the ‘Market’s Field’ in Limerick to none other than Kerry.
During the following two decades success on the field was very limited but “The Orchard” was acquired and opened as one of the first G.A.A. pitches in the county, in 1916.