The Northern Irish Civil Rights Association (NICRA) was founded on the 29th of January 1967.
The NICRA was established to protest discrimination against Catholics in the six counties of Northern Ireland.
THe objectives of the NICRA were as follows;
1. - To defend the basic freedoms of all citizens
2. - To protect the rights of the individual
3. - To highlight abuses of power
4. - To demand gurantees for freedom of speech, assembly and association
5. - To inform the public of its lawful rights
Initially the NICRA focused on letter writing and lobbying, but eventuallly moved on to the civil rights marches which would result in some of the biggest events of The Troubles.