Garristown in the 1830s

1837
Share This:
Edit

A snapshot of pre-famine local history, as described in the "Topographical Dictionary of Ireland" by Samuel Lewis, 1837. (The information collected here was submitted by members of the local gentry and clergy of the time).

GARRISTOWN, a parish, in the barony of BALROTHERY, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER 4 miles (N. W.) from Ashbourne ; containing 2081 inhabitants, of which number, 741 are in the village of Garristown, and 218 in that of Baldwinstown.

It is a constabulary police station, and has a dispensary.

There is a windmill on a hill near the village, from which is an extensive prospect, commanding a view over fourteen counties.

Good building stone and turf are obtained in the parish; and fairs are held on May 5th, Aug. 15th, and Nov. 1st.

The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Dublin, and in the gift of Lord Trimleston, in whom the rectory is impropriated: the vicarial tithes were valued at £50, and there is a glebe of 25 acres. The church is a plain building : the glebe-house, which was built in 1791, is in ruins.

In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish is united to Ballymadun; there is a chapel in each parish; that of Garristown was erected in 1828, and galleries were added to the chapel of Ballymadun in 1833.

There is a national school, in which about 100 boys are instructed, and there are also two private schools.