1837
Share This:

A snapshot of pre-famine local history, as described in the "Topographical Dictionary of Ireland" by Samuel Lewis, 1837.

KEADUE, a small town, in the parish of KILRONAN, barony of BOYLE, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 8 miles (N. N. W.) from Carrick-on-Shannon, to which it has a penny post: the population is included in the return for the parish.

It has partly arisen out of the Arigna Iron and Coal works, and contains about 45 houses.

A market-house has been recently erected by Col. Tenison, its proprietor; and there is a patent for a market and fairs, not now held.

It is a constabulary police station, and petty sessions are held on alternate Wednesdays.

Here is a R. C. chapel, which was built by Col. Tenison.

-See KILRONAN.

Community new status

Communities Associated with this Timeline