Kilbride ROSCOMMON in the 1830s

1837
Share This:
Edit

A snapshot of pre-famine local history, as described in the "Topographical Dictionary of Ireland" by Samuel Lewis, 1837. (The information collected here was submitted by members of the local gentry and clergy of the time).

KILBRIDE, a parish, partly in the barony of ROSCOMMON, but chiefly in that of BALLINTOBBER (now of Ballintober South) county of ROSCOMMON, and the province of CONNAUGHT, 5 miles (N.) from Roscommon, on the road to Strokestown; containing 7673 inhabitants.

It comprises 11,812 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; there is a large proportion of bog. The land is principally under tillage, but the system of agriculture is unimproved. Limestone abounds.

The principal seats are

  • Roxborough, the residence of A. Brown, Esq. ;
  • Durham, of H. Corr, Esq. ;
  • Holywell, of C. W. Blakeney, Esq. ;
  • Drumdaf, of T. G. Digby, Esq. ; and
  • Cappa Lodge, of Capt. W. Tattle.

Petty sessions are held every alternate week at a place called the Four-mile-House.

It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, and forms part of the union of Roscommon; the rectory is impropriate in the Sandys family. The tithes Amount to £300. 18s., one-half payable to the impropriator and the other to the vicar.

In the Roman Catholic divisions it forms part of the union or district of Kilgeffin, also called Kilbride; a chapel is in progress of erection.

About 20 children are educated in a public school, and there are seven private schools, in which are about 450 children.

Some remains yet exist of the Abbey of Derrane; and there are several raths, one of which, on the lands of Holywell, has a treble fosse.

Communities Associated with this Timeline

Buildings Associated with these Communities