1837
Share This:
Edit

A snapshot of pre-famine local history, as described in the "Topographical Dictionary of Ireland" by Samuel Lewis, 1837.

KILCORKEY, a parish, in the barony of BALLINTOBBER, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 2 miles (S. E.) from Frenchpark, on the new mail coach road from Longford to Ballina; containing 2897 inhabitants.

It comprises 6102 statute acres, consisting of gently rising grounds intermixed with bogs, and including some excellent pasture, but the land on the banks of the streams that flow into Lough Gara produces rank grass from being frequently inundated. Limestone, freestone, and sandstone are obtained.

  • Belanagare is the seat of E. O'Conor, Esq., and

  • Mount Druid, of M. O'Conor, Esq.

It is in the diocese of Elphin; the rectory forms part of the corps of the precentorship and the vicarage of the archdeaconry:

  • the tithes amount to £90 and are equally divided between the precentor and the archdeacon.

The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and has a chapel at Belanagare.

About 170 children are educated in two public, schools, to one of which Lord Mount-Sandford contributes £20 annually, and about 90 in a private school.

Here are the ruins of a church and of several raths.

-See BELANAGARE.

Community new status

Communities Associated with this Timeline

Buildings Associated with these Communities