Kilfian aka Kilfyan in the 1830s

1837
Share This:
Edit

In 1837, every parish, town, and county was described by Samuel Lewis in his "Topographical Dictionary of Ireland" (transcribed by Library Ireland, see link below).

KILFYAN (now Kilfian)... on the road from Crossmolina to Ballycastle...

Local Gentry (landlords, their agents, and magistrates) resided at:

  • Greenwood Park, the residence of Capt. J. Knox; Woodville, in the same demesne;
  • Rappa Castle, of Annesley Gore Knox, Esq.;
  • Fahy, of E. A. Knox, Esq.;
  • Farmhill, of Major Gardiner;
  • Mount Glynne, of J. Fausset, Esq.;
  • Killina, of Duke Ormsby, Esq.;
  • Ballintubber, of S. Handy, Esq.; and
  • Smithstown, of A. Pugh, Esq.

Other BUILDINGS

  • constabulary police station
  • RC chapel (a small thatched building)
  • ruins of Ballynglen castle
  • ruins of Rathroe castle

The corresponding RC (Roman Catholic) parish was "partly in the union or district of Ardagh, and partly the head of a union, comprising also the parish of Rathrea" (now Rathreagh).

SEE libraryireland.com/topog/K/Kilfyan-Tyrawley-Mayo.php

Communities Associated with this Timeline