Killeek in the 1830s

1837
Share This:
Edit

A snapshot of pre-famine local history, as described in the "Topographical Dictionary of Ireland" by Samuel Lewis, 1837. (The information collected here was submitted by members of the local gentry and clergy of the time).

KILLEEK, or KILLAUGH,a parish, in the barony of NETHERCROSS, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 1 1/2 miles (W.) from Swords, on the road from Dublin to the Naul; containing 175 inhabitants, and 805 statute acres. It is a curacy, in the diocese of Dublin, forming part of the union of Swords.

The rectory is appropriate to the economy estate of St. Patrick's cathedral, Dublin; the tithes amount to £169. 3s. 5 1/2d

In the Roman Catholic divisions it is part of the union or district of Finglas and St. Margaret's.

Near New Place are the extensive ruins of a magnificent mansion; and there are some remains of the church.

Communities Associated with this Timeline