Killeenadeema in the 1830s

1837
Share This:
Edit

A snapshot of pre-famine local history, as described by Samuel Lewis in the "Topographical Dictionary of Ireland" 1837.

KILLEENADEEMA, or KILNADEEMA, a parish, in the barony of LOUGHREA, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 3 miles (S. by W.) from Loughrea ; containing 3554 inhabitants.

This parish comprises a considerable portion of the Derrybrian mountains, and contains 1854 statute acres applotted under the tithe act.

It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Clonfert, with the greater portion of the rectory united, together forming part of the union of Loughrea ; the remainder of the rectory is appropriate to the deanery of Clonfert ; the tithes amount to £153. 17. 7., of which £ 12. 18. 5., is payable to the dean, and £140. 19. 1-. to the vicar.

In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parish of Kilteskill, and containing chapels at Kildeema, Derrybrian, and Ayle.

About 210 children are educated in three public schools, to each of which the Earl of Clancarty contributes £5 annually, and about 120 are taught in two private schools.

Community new status