Killester in the 1830s

1837
Share This:
Edit

A snapshot of pre-famine local history, as described in the "Topographical Dictionary of Ireland" by Samuel Lewis, 1837. (The information collected here was submitted by members of the local gentry and clergy of the time).

KILLESTER, a parish, in the barony of COOLOCK, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (N, E.) from Dublin city centre; containing 113 inhabitants, and 228 statute acres.

This parish commands fine views of the Dublin and Wicklow mountains, and of the bay of Dublin, and contains several seats, the principal of which are

  • Killester House, the property of Gen. Luscombe, in which are incorporated the remains of an old abbey, and in the demesne is a fine grove of lime trees;
  • Maryville, the seat of A. Barlow,Esq.,
  • Woodville, of J.Bingham, Esq.;
  • Hollybrook House, of W. M'Dougall, Esq.
  • Hollybrook Park of G. Symes, Esq.;
  • Killester Lodge, of G.Wilson Esq.;
  • Clontarf Strand, of J. Chambers, Esq.; and
  • Oatley, of G. Farran, Esq.

It is a rectory, in the diocese of Dublin, appropriate to the economy estate of Christ-Church cathedral, Dublin, the tithes of which amount to £21.

In the R. C. division, it forms part of the union or district of Clontarf.

There are some remains of the church, which, from its circular arches, appear to be very ancient.

About 35 children are educated in a public school, and there is also a Sunday school.

Communities Associated with this Timeline

Buildings Associated with these Communities