1837
Share This:

A snapshot of pre-famine local history from Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland 1837.

KILLILANE, or St. HELEN'S, a parish, in the barony of FORTH, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 10 miles (S. E.) from Wexford, and near the southern extremity of the bay of Rosslare; containing 144 inhabitants.

This parish, which for civil purposes forms part of Kilrane, comprises only 636 statute acres as applotted under the tithe act, and is chiefly in tillage; sea-weed is used as manure.

It is a rectory, in the diocese of Ferns, forming part of the union of Tacumshane, and the corps of the chancellorship: the tithes amount to £49. 3. l0 ¾.

In the R. C. divisions, it is part of the union or district of Tagat or Kilrane.

Community new status

Communities Associated with this Timeline