Killursa in the 1830s

1837
Share This:
Edit

A snapshot of pre-famine local history, as described by Samuel Lewis in the "Topographical Dictionary of Ireland" 1837.

KILLURSA, a parish, in the barony of CLARE, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT; containing, with part of the post-town of Headford, 4612 inhabitants.

It is situated on Lough Corrib, and contains a great quantity of bog and limestone.

The principal seats are:

  • Ower, the residence of J. Burke, Esq.;
  • Clarren, of J. Brown, Esq.; and
  • Carnacrow, of W. Skerrett, Esq.

It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, forming part of the union of Head-ford; the tithes amount to £211. 10. 10 1/2.

In the R. C. divisions also it forms part of the union or district of Headford, and has a chapel, which was built in 1770 at an expense of £350.

About 230 children are educated in three public schools, two of which are entirely supported by R. Mansergh St. George, Esq., and the rector, and to the other J. Burke, Esq., has given half an acre of land rent-free; and about 280 in six private schools.

Sir George Leonard Staunton, Bart., secretary to the British embassy to China, in 1793, of which he published an account, was a native of this place. Some battle-axes and javelins were found here a few years since.

Community new status

Communities Associated with this Timeline