Kilmacumsy parish in the 1830s

1837
Share This:
Edit

From Lewis' Topographical Dictionary pub. 1837

KILMACUMSY, or KILMACUNSY, a parish, in the barony of BOYLE, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 4 miles (N. W.) from Elphin, on the road from Boyle to Roscommon; containing 2396 inhabitants.

Much of its surface is occupied with gentle elevations of limestone and limestone gravel, in which are several extensive natural caverns.

It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, forming part of the union of Ardclare; the rectory forms part of the corps of the precentorship of Elphin cathedral.

The tithes amount to £92. 6. 2., which is equally divided between the precentor and the vicar.

In the R. C. divisions, it is part of the union or district of Elphin.


AKA Killmacumsey, Kilmacumshy, Kilmakempsy, Kilmacus, Kilmacusy.

Communities Associated with this Timeline