Kilmovee parish in 1837

1837
Share This:
Edit

From a Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis 1837

KILMOVEE, a parish, in the barony of COSTELLO, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5 miles (W. by N.) from Ballaghadereen, on the road to Castlebar; containing 4240 inhabitants.

It comprises 19,668 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, including 8500 acres of bog, and the remainder is very barren and mountainous.

It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Achonry, forming part of the union of Castlemore; the rectory is impropriated in Viscount Dillon.

  • The tithes amount to £200.8.10., which is equally divided between the impropriator and the vicar.

The R.C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church and has chapels at Kilmovee and Glen.

About 330 children are educated in four private schools.

There are some remains of the old church in a burial-ground.

Community new status

Communities Associated with this Timeline