Kilshannig Parish came under the patronage of the Norman lord ,John De Cogan in 1242 and thrived until Henry the Eight intervened in 1535. St Seannach founded his extensive monastic settlement close to the old river ford on the Blackwater where Longfield's bridge now stands some 3 miles west of Mallow town in c 560 AD. This major ecclesiastical settlement had a large graveyard attached covering 3 acres of land which gave the townland the Irish name Gort-na-Gross and now known as Crossfield.
The Normans ,who introduced the large churches to accommodate whole congregations to Ireland built their first such church on the site of the present Protestant church and graveyard at Newberry on higher ground close to the original site.The present protestant church ,restored in 1719 was handed over to Cork County Council in c.1982 and has been maintained by that body since.
Saint Seannach is reputed to be buried in a nearby field under a huge boulder that has been preserved for centuries. Kilshannig became the name of the protestant parish and also the civil parish and when a new Catholic church was built in Glantane village in 1821 Glantane became the name of the Catholic parish