Lecarrow Village in the 1830s

1837
Share This:
Edit

A snapshot of pre-famine local history, as described in the "Topographical Dictionary of Ireland" by Samuel Lewis, 1837. (The information collected here was submitted by members of the local gentry and clergy of the time).

Lecarrow then LECKARROW, a village, partly in the parish of St. JOHN'S, and partly in that of KILLENVOY (now Killinvoy), barony of ATHLONE, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 8 miles (N. W.) from Athlone, on the road to Roscommon town, to both which places it has a penny post; containing 80 inhabitants.

Fairs are held in March, June, sept., and Dec.; and petty sessions every alternate week.

In the village are a flour and an oatmeal mill; and in the vicinity is a dispensary.

Buildings Associated with these Communities