The above image shows Edward Lhywd’s survey of Newgrange (after Stout & Stout 2008, p. 98, fig. 66). It is the first known plan of the tomb and it was drawn shortly after the entrance into the mound was rediscovered in 1699. Up until that date, the entrance had actually been sealed and it was only uncovered again when the local landowner, Charles Campbell, needed some stones and had instructed his labourers to carry some away from the cairn.
READ MORE Newgrange