NEWTOWNBREDA, a village, in the parish of KNOCKBREDA, barony of UPPER CASTLEREAGH, county of DOWN, and province of ULSTER, 2 miles (S.) from Belfast, on the road to Saintfield ; the population is returned with the parish.
It is pleasantly situated on an eminence near the river Lagan, and immediately adjoining Belvoir Park, the seat of Sir R. Bateson, Bart. ; it consists chiefly of small detached white-washed cottages, with gardens in the rear, which give the village an extremely interesting appearance.
It is a station of the constabulary police ; and petty sessions are held on alternate Saturdays. Fairs are held on July 5th, and Oct. 27th.
Here is the parochial church, a small but elegant edifice in the Grecian style, erected in 1747, under the direction of Mr. Cassels, by the Viscountess Dowager Midleton.
The burial-ground, which is the cemetery of several of the most respectable families of the surrounding country, has a very neat and interesting appearance.