Sisters of Mercy arrive in Gort

5th November 1857
Share This:
Edit

The Convent of Mercy Gort was founded on 5 November 1857, in the aftermath of the Great Famine. They came from St Leo's Carlow. The Building was originally Bridge House which was built circa 1771 by John Prendergast-Smyth. They extended the convent the following year to include a primary school. About 400 children attended the shcool the first year.