St James Civil Parish in the 1830s

1837
Share This:
Edit

St. James's parish contains 13,197 inhabitants, and 625 houses valued at £5 and upwards, the total annual value being £13,176.

The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Earl of Meath ; the minister's money amounts to £109. 1. 4.

The church is a low and very plain building ; owing to the small accommodation it affords to the numerous parishioners, it is the intention of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners to erect a new one.

The cemetery is very large and situated on the north side of a hill sloping down towards the river.

The episcopal chapels of the Royal and Foundling Hospitals are in this parish ; and there is a chapel of ease at Golden-Bridge, chiefly for the use of Richmond barracks. There are parochial schools for boys and girls, three national schools, and an infants' school.

Communities Associated with this Timeline