1st January 1837
Back to List

A snapshot of pre-famine local history from Lewis Topographical Dictionary 1837.

JAMES'S (ST.), a parish, comprising the sea-port and post-town of Arthurstown, and the villages of Ballyhack, Duncannon, and Ramsgrange (each of which is described under its own head), in the barony of SHELBURNE, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER; and containing, with the ecclesiastical parishes of Dunbrody and Rathroe, 4122 inhabitants.

It is situated on the eastern shore of Waterford harbour, and comprises 10,611 statute acres, chiefly in tillage: the soil is varied, and the state of agriculture has been much improved.  Limestone brought by lighters from Granny, in the county of Kilkenny, and slab and sea-weed from Waterford harbour, are used for manure. Near Arthurstown are quarries of good millstone grit.

Dunbrody Park, the seat of Lord Templemore, and now occupied by his agent, Pelham Babington, Esq., is situated on a finely wooded eminence commanding an extensive and interesting view of the harbour and surrounding country.

The living is an impropriate curacy, with those of Dunbrody and Rathroe annexed, and with the rectory of Killesk also united in augmentation: it is in the diocese of Ferns, and in the patronage of Lord Templemore, in whom the rectory is wholly impropriate ;

  • the tithes amount to £400.
  • The church, a small plain building without tower or spire, is near Ballyhack; the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have granted £367 for its repair and improvement, which have been commenced.
  • There is also a chapel for the garrison at Duncannon Fort, served by the curate of St. James's, who has quarters in the Fort.

In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Hook, or Templetown, and has a small chapel at Duncannon, and another at Ramsgrange, near which latter place there is a residence for the priest.

The parochial school, at Arthurstown, and an infants' school at Duncannon, are supported by subscription, and there is another free school, in all which about 35 children are educated: and in nine other schools in the parish and those of Dunbrody and Rathroe are about 175 children; two of the latter schools are attached to the chapels, and are under the superintendence of the R. C. clergyman.

On a promontory in Waterford harbour, forming the small bay of Neuk, are the ruins of Buttermilk castle, said to derive its name from the exaction of a toil on buttermilk by the monks of Dunbrody.

Some communities associated with this timeline

Some ancestors associated with these communities

Some buildings associated with these communities