St Luke Civil Parish in the 1830s

1837
Share This:
Edit

St. Luke's parish contains 6605 inhabitants, and 337 houses valued at £5 and upwards, the total annual value being £7654.

The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Dublin, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Christ-Church ; the minister's money is £92. 7. 8., and the gross income £171. 17. 4.

The church, erected in 1708, when the parish, which had been a part of that of St. Nicholas, was formed, is approached by an avenue of trees from the Coombe, and is a plain structure entered by a large doorway between rusticated columns : it was re-roofed in 1835 by a grant of £1029. 13. 6. from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.

There are parochial schools for boys and girls, in which some of the children are clothed and some dieted ; also an infants' school and a national school, all supported by charity sermons and some small bequests.

Communities Associated with this Timeline

Buildings Associated with these Communities