St. Michael's parish was created a prebend with cure of souls in Christ Church cathedral, in 1554, by Archbishop Browne.
It contains 2288 inhabitants, and 112 houses valued at £5 and upwards, the total annual value being £3670.
The rectory or prebend is in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Christ-Church ; the minister's money amounts to #50. 5. 11., and the gross income is #250. 8. The church stands at the corner of Michael's-hill and High-street, and is a small building in the pointed style of architecture. The tower, which is without a spire, is ancient and of large dimensions, very disproportionate to the small structure of which it now forms the vestibule.
There is a parochial school ; 20 of the children are clothed.