St. Nicholas Civil Parishes in the 1830s

1837
Share This:
Edit

St. Nicholas Within included also the parishes of St. Nicholas Without and St. Luke until 1707, when they were formed into separate parishes. It contains 1845 inhabitants, and 103 houses valued at £5 and upwards, the total annual value being £3929. 10.

The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of St. Patrick's ; the minister's money is £3. 0. 7., and the gross income £125.

The church, an unsightly edifice, situated in Nicholas-street, has been taken down and is to be rebuilt under the directions of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, till which time divine service is performed in the school-room. There is a lectureship attached to it, which is maintained by the rent of lands in the county of Louth.

There is a parochial school for 12 boys, who are clothed, educated, and apprenticed : it is supported by the rent of two houses, amounting to £36 per annum, and an annual charity sermon.

St. Nicholas Without, formed into a parish in 1707, contains 12,391 inhabitants, and 871 houses valued at £5 and upwards, the total annual value being £226. 8,10. 1

The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of St. Patrick's ; the minister's money is £207. 12. 6., and the gross income £264. 10.

The church, which was dedicated to St. Myra, and occupied the north transept of St. Patrick's cathedral, having fallen into decay, has been restored, and still forms part of that building. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners have granted #432. 7. 7. for its repair. There are parochial schools for boys, girls, and infants, and two Sunday schools.