The Stardust Ballroom Fire

14th February 1981
Share This:
Edit

A terrible tragedy took place on the 14th of February 1981 when the Stardust nightclub in Artane, Co. Dublin went up in flames. 

The fire was caused by an electrical fault, and exacerbated by the presence of highly flammable materials such as cooking oil. 

Evacuation was made difficult as many of the doors were padlocked with chains. Many people were trapped inside the burning building. 

48 people lost their lives and another 214 were badly injured. 

The Stardust tragedy was one of the worst accidents in Dublin's recent history. 

 

 

 

Communities Associated with this Timeline

Ancestors Associated with these Communities