1837
Share This:
Edit

A snapshot of pre-famine local history, as described by Samuel Lewis in the "Topographical Dictionary of Ireland" 1837.

TAGHMACONNELL, a parish, in the barony of ATHLONE, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT; 5 miles (N. E.) from Ballinasloe, on the road to Roscommon; containing 4418 inhabitants.

This parish comprises 12,229 ½ statute acres, of which 9912 are applotted under the tithe act. The land is badly cultivated, yet agriculture is improving; there is a considerable portion of bog, and limestone abounds. Castle-Sampson, a little village within the parish, is 5 miles (W.) from Athlone, and comprises 26 cabins and 130 inhabitants; it has a patent for fairs, which, however, are not held.

The gentlemen's seats are

  • Fighill, the residence of R. Keogh, Esq.;
  • Eskan, of W. Kelly, Esq.;
  • Keoghvill, of Ross Keogh, Esq.; and
  • Camla House, of E. Killikelly, Esq.

It is a rectory, in the diocese of Clonfert, partly appropriate to the bishoprick and deanery, and partly included in the union of Creagh; the tithes amount to £147. 13. 10., of which £36 is payable to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, £3. 13. 10 ½. to the dean, and the remainder to the incumbent; there is a glebe of 4 acres.

The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and contains a chapel.

There are three private schools, one of which is kept in a house built by the parishioners.

At Clonohill are the remains of an old abbey, and there are also the remains of the abbey of Taghmaconnell, and of a nunnery at Ballinnina.

Certain lands in the parish pay a rent, called "monastery money," to the crown for this nunnery.

Here are the ruins of several old castles formerly belonging to the Keogh family: also two upright stones, crossed by a third on the top, supposed to have been land-marks between the ancient proprietors of the land and the Keogh family.

Community new status

Communities Associated with this Timeline