The manuscripts books aka Tithe registers that have been digitally imaged for Elphin, date back to 1835. The Tithe Commissioners were appointed on the 30th of September 1825 with Daniel Kelly for the parish of Ogulla and Jeffrey Ffrench and Arthur Browne for Elphin. The Deputy Registrar for Tumna was Edwin Brooke Kenny. The tithes were payable to the Very Rev. Dean of Elphin.
On May 31, 1867, the Very Rev. William Warburton was appointed Dean of Elphin. Shortly afterwards, on October 11, 1867, Warburton applied for an Order for the increase of composition for tithes in the parish of Elphin (albeit that they had been abolished).
NOTE: The surnames and townland spellings are often very different from the standardised spellings today.
- To BROWSE the Tithe Records by NAME for the parish of Elphin click HERE.
- To BROWSE the Tithe Records by PLACE for the parish of Elphin* click HERE. *This National Archives filter may include some townlands (NOT in this civil parish) in error.
To locate or FIND townlands in the civil parish of Elphin click HERE.
The modern spelling of a townland (from Griffith's Valuation in 1857) will not always match the Tithe manuscript or digital transcription.
JOIN the online community for Elphin HERE.