Tithe Applotment Survey of Tumna

7th December 1833
Share This:
Edit

Compiled in the 1820-30s, tythes were a form of local tax for occupiers of agricultural land. Anyone with a holding of land greater than 1 acre was obliged to pay tithes as maintenance for the Church of Ireland (then responsible for poor relief in the parish). The tithes were calculated on the average price of oats (the principal type of "corn" grown in this district at that time) for the 7 years ending in November 1821.

The manuscripts books aka Tithe registers that have been digitally imaged for Tumna, date back to 1833. The Tithe Commissioner John Lawder of Moigh was appointed on the 25 of April 1833. The Deputy Registrar for Tumna was Edwin Brooke Kenny. On 19 August, 1833, at Ardcarn Church the composition of tithes for the parish of Tumna was set at £140 sterling per annum and signed by Thomas Kirkwood Esq., Wynne Peyton and Charles J. Peyton Esqs, Thomas Crawford and John Crawford Esqs, and others on behalf of Viscount Lorton. 

NOTE: The surnames and townland spellings are often very different from the standardised spellings today. 

To locate or FIND townlands in the civil parish of Tumna click HERE

Where modern spelling of a townland from Griffith's Valuation (GV) does not match the Tithe manuscript or digital transcription, see the links below:

To LINK your ancestor to a Tumna townland click here: ADD ANCESTOR

JOIN the online community for Tumna HERE.