The 1801 Act of Union declared
- Ireland was to be joined with Great Britain as a single kingdom: the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.
- the Dublin parliament abolished, Ireland to be represented at Westminster by 100 MPs, 4 Lords Spiritual and 28 Lords Temporal (all Anglican).
- the Anglican Church to be recognised as the official Church of Ireland.
- free trade between Ireland and Britain.
- Ireland would keep a separate Exchequer and take responsiblity for two-seventeenths of the general expense of the United Kingdom.
- Ireland would retain its own Courts of Justice and civil service.
- no Catholics to be allowed hold public office.
- no plans for Catholic Emancipation.