Our aim is to connect all people with a link to Effin. You may live here, have visited here or maybe are tracing ancestors who left long ago. In any case, we’re sure to have lots to share and are delighted to welcome you.
The first mention of the parish is recorded in 1240 when it is referred to as Effyng. It is thought that the name comes from a saint named St. Eimhin whose name also crops up in the name Monasterevan (Mainister Eimhin).
The parish of Effin includes the Electoral Divisions of Ballymacshaneboy and Tobernae.
Garrienderk is mentioned in the 1840 survey as Garrai an Deince' on the gardens of the cave of Hollow.
Effin is a parish, in the county of Limerick. It is located 1¾ miles from Kilmallock, on the R515, the road to Charleville. The current population of the parish is approximately 1,000. The land slopes sharply at first from its highest point at Corin (1469 p8) and then gradually towards the river Maigue (190 ft). The land is good fertile land mainly suited to dairying.
The area of the parish is approximately 16 sq miles. It is 8 miles from North to South and approximately 3 miles across. There is a total of 8666 acres of land fit for pasture or crops while the slopes of the Ballyhouras are under trees
The parish is divided in half by the Cork-Dublin Railway Line and in general all the land to the north is in Effin and that to the south is Garrienderk.
The parish has no village as such but the focal point would be considered to be the church of the community hall which lie approximately in the centre of the parish.
The parish is served by 2 churches one in Effin and a smaller one in Garrienderk. Approximately 650 attend mass each Sunday.
There is a excellent national school in the parish. It is staffed by 3 teachers and 80 pupils attend. The Secondary School needs of the parish are served by schools in Charleville or Kilmallock with a school transport service to both of these towns
There is a silver chalice still in use in Effin which bears the following inscription: Aegidius Hiffernane et Eleanora Gibbon et Cornelius Hiffernane Aegidii filius me fieri fecurunt 1633. It was found in Kilquane Graveyard when a gravedigger was digging a grave.
The folklore collections (1937 – 1938 . Effin National School is on reel number S157: These films are available for consultation at the Limerick Studies Department, Lissanalta House, Dooradoyle Road, Limerick
Please feel free to post a message.
Good luck with your research.
The parish contains the following amenities
Our Lady Queen of Peace in Effin
St Patricks Church in Garrienderk
Kilbreedy Minor in Thomastown which is no longer used.
The Canon Hayes Muinter na Tire Hall
GAA Sportsfield Field and an active GAA club.
There are 2 Pubs,
Barrets, and The Idle Hour, all famous for the singsongs, craic and hospitality.
Community Development Committee
The Old Creamery producing Effin Cheese
|Address||Effin, Co. Limerick|