Ballyturin House

Share This:

At the time of Griffith's Valuation Ballyturin House was the residence of John Bagot. In 1906 John C. Bagot was the owner of the house which was valued at £17. It was located in a commanding position overlooking rolling countryside. In May 1921, an RIC man (District/Inspector Cecil Blake), his wife and two British Army officers (Capt Cornwallis and Lt McCreery) were killed in an ambush by South Galway/East Clare Irish Volunteers at the gates of Ballyturin House. Margaret, Mrs Robert Gregory of Coole Park (Lady Gregory's daughter-in-law) escaped without injury. Ballyturin is now a ruin.Interesting article and pictures on the history of Ballyturin House.

http://www.abandonedireland.com/Ballyturin_House.html

Brief description of the Bagot family

This family were first established at Bagotstown, county Limerick in the 13th century. They later held land in counties Laois and Offaly. It was through a marriage with a member of the Cuff family that a junior branch of the Bagot family of county Offaly came to possess an estate in the barony of Ballymoe, county Galway. Catherine Cuff, a granddaughter of Thomas Cuff, a brother of James Cuff, Lord Tyrawley, married John Lloyd Bagot in 1775. Griffith's Valuation records Thomas Neville Bagot and his son John Lloyd Bagot owning townlands in the parishes of Drumatemple and Kilcroan. The Bagot estate was further expanded by the purchase of the Castlekelly estate in the barony of Killian. By the 1870s John Lloyd Bagot owned 6,900 acres in county Galway and 104 acres in county Roscommon, his brother Christopher Neville Bagot owned 12,396 acres in county Galway and another brother Bernard William Bagot of Carrownure, Lecarrow, owned 686 acres in county Roscommon. John Lloyd Bagot married Anna Georgina Kirwan of Ballyturin, parish of Kilbeacanty, barony of Kiltartan, county Galway. Their son John owned 1,072 acres in county Clare in the 1870s. By 1906 John Bagot held over 600 acres of untenanted demesne land in Ballyturin as well as the mansion house. 281 acres of the Bagot estate was vested in the Congested Districts' Board in February 1916.http://www.abandonedireland.com/Ballyturin_House.html

Kirwan(Ballyturin) Edward Kirwan, Ballyturin, is described as a resident proprietor in county Galway in 1824.

http://www.landedestates.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/estate-show.jsp?id=1051

Interesting article and pictures on Lough Cultra Castle 

http://www.abandonedireland.com/LoughCutra.html

Nice article on the history of Lough Cultra castle here 

http://www.loughcutra.com/index.php?page=castle-history

The home page has some nice articles and pictures 

http://www.loughcutra.com/

53°03'06.8"N 8°45'16.8"W

Address 53°03'06.8"N 8°45'16.8"W
Website http://www.loughcutra.com/
Parish(es) Kilbeacanty (Galway)
Category (ies) Tourist Attraction