Cranfield is a small parish (1 townland of 834 acres). For most administrative purposes it has now been absorbed into the nearby parish of Drummaul.
Cranfield Church and the Holy Well are just 20 minutes away from Antrim Town by car. They are situated on the shores of Lough Neagh, a really beautiful spot and it has a picnic area. This is Cranfield Church and the name comes from the Irish word Creamhchoill meaning ' The wood of Wild Garlic '. The church first comes to light in 1306A.D. in the taxation list but under the name Crewill. By the 1660's it was in ruins and what you see now is the later Parish church, perhaps built in the 13th century. The church is aligned West to East with the doorway in the West gable. The East gable was where the altar would have been below the tall pointed window. The remains of a modern cross resting in the interior is a replica of an ancient Termon cross, which would have marked the boundary of the church land.
|Category (ies)||Heritage/Culture Tourist Attraction|