The Gaelic Chieftain is one Ireland's most magnificent road-side sculptures. Overlooking the site of the Battle of the Curlew Pass near Boyle, this impressive metal piece can be found on the N4 bypass about 2 kilometers north east of the battlefield. Just off the motorway, adjacent to the sculpture is a picnic area, where one can sit and take in the magnificent views over Lough Key.
This statue, sculptured by Maurice Harron, was unveiled on April 12th 1999, in commemoration of this 400 year old victory. It depicts Red Hugh O Donnell who, on 15th August 1599, led a Gaelic Irish force to ambush the English as they marched through a pass in the Curlew Mountains. The English forces suffered heavy casualties and were defeated. Losses by allied Irish forces were not recorded but were probably minimal.
The Curlew Pass was the scene of the last victory won by the rebels during the war, when a panicking English force was again routed and suffered significant losses in August 1602.
|Address||N 54° 00.816 W 008° 17.399 29U E 546525 N 5985268|
|Parish(es)||Killummod (Roscommon) Killukin Boyle (Roscommon) Elphin (Roscommon) Boyle (Roscommon) Estersnow (Roscommon) Kiltoghert (Leitrim) Kilcolagh (Roscommon) Tibohine (Roscommon) Tumna (Roscommon) Creeve (Roscommon)|
|Category (ies)||Heritage/Culture Tourist Attraction|