Galway County Library HQ
The Galway Local History Collection includes
- A comprehensive collection of old local newspapers
- Griffith's Valuation for Galway on microfilm and also online here
- Trade Directories: Pigot's Directory for the years 1820, 1821, 1822 and 1824; Slater's Directory of Ireland for the years 1846, 1856, 1870, 1881 and 1894; Thom's Directory for 1848
- Local maps
- Historical photographs of Galway
- The 1901 and 1911 censi on microfilm and also online here
- For details on archive collections see our Archives Service
Monday to Friday 9.30am to 1.00pm and 2.00pm to 5.00pm
Is an Appointment Necessary?
It is advisable to make an appointment by phoning 00 353 91 562471 or faxing 00 353 91 565039. Some material requires the use of microform readers and these may have to be reserved in advance.
Galway Resources online
The 1842 Ordnance Survey 6 Inch Maps for Galway are now available online.
The Down Survey of Ireland (1656-1658)
The Lawrence Family, of Lisreaghan aka Belview, in east county Galway region in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, and founded the village of Lawrencetown left a valuable photographic album now available on the Ask About Ireland website.
|Address||Library Headquarters Island House Gaol Road Galway Ireland H91 RYC9|
|Phone||(+353) (0)91 509388|
|Parish(es)||Galway Tuam (Galway) Ballinasloe (Galway) Athenry (Galway)|
|Category (ies)||Heritage/Culture Local Organisation|