Back to List


Share This:

There are a number of Holy Wells in Effin.

There is a well located in the townland of Ballymacshaneboy located about a mile and a half south of the Ballyhea-Ardpatrick road at the foot of the Ballyhoura mountains. This well was known as 'Tobar Ri an Domhnaigh', which means 'The well of the King of Sunday'. Nine smaller wells surround this well. This well is enclosed by an earthen bank of circular form believed to be in the shape of an eye. It was said that the bank was constructed by a local man when he regained his sight at the well. It is also believed that the well was stone-lined by a grateful father whose daughter's senses were restored after a fall from a horse, upon bathing her eyes and forehead with water from the well. A local man by the name of Tom Comber cleaned around the well in 1966 and erected a little shrine which contained statues, medals and rosary beads. The well is maintained and people still regularly visit it. Danahar mentions a well in the parish, Toberreendoney, this is the anglicised version of 'Tobar R� an Domhnaigh'. Danaher refers to two other wells in the parish, namely Tobernea and Toberbansha, but did not believe that they were holy wells.

Our Lady's Well.
There are no organized devotions there now, although it is still regarded as a holy well. It is located in a field below the Harp Bar.

Toberacran ceased to be a pilgrimage site by 1840. Toberacran, in the townland of Gortnacrank, derived its name from Tobar a' Chrann, meaning well of the tree.

St Bridget's Well in Kilbreedy townland was no longer a pattern site in 1840. It was a small clear pool, roughly lined with stones. One large stone was set on edge beside the well. It was formerly very popular for its alleged power to cure sickness, especially sore eyes.

Effin, Co. Limerick
Category (ies)

Close this